Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Body types

My favorite concept would be from chapter 5 on page 130; and the concept is endomorph. This concept is under the header of 'body type' and this section of chapter 5 focuses on the physical form of the human body. A variety of cultures value different body types and body structures. An endomorph is one of the three extremes of the body types. The other two body type classifications are mesomorph which is an average height , muscular, athletic body; and an ectomorph is a tall, thin, and frail body structure. A seven point scale is used to score an individuals body type.
This is my favorite concept not because it is such a weird word but because I have never heard of an endomorph before and it interested me because body type in the United States is focused on a lot. I found it disheartening to read about how body type can be an advantage or disadvantage for a persona when it comes to love and a career. I hope not! The endomorph is a concept which stood out to me because it made me think of how our society focuses on outward appearance and puts an unrealistic amount of pressure to be perfect. This concept is worth discussing because it can put into light where our judgements come from here in the United States. All body types are unique and wonderful in their own way and Chapter 5 discusses this.

There should only be one body type...BEAUTIFUL.

2 comments:

  1. You have chosen an interesting concept! I have always felt that people can’t really control who they are attracted to. I have one friend who is only interested in dating men with washboard abs, who look like they just stepped out of an Abercrombie catalog, and another friend who exclusively dates men who are balding. On the other hand, the chapter is correct in pointing out that we must have some control over these attractions, because each culture has a different set of physical qualities it values. I don’t know what kind of “morph” I’m attracted to , but in reviewing my past relationships, it seems to have more to do with personality and Pheromones than a specific body type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you brought up the topic on body types and America's obsession with the "ideal body."
    I agree our society puts too much pressure on outward appearance and unrealistic pressures to be perfect. Weight loss clinics and potions have become a billion dollar industry because of this obsession. The media have used this to their advantage as a result too. Eating disorders in many young girls have increased as a result of this.
    It was good, Trenholm also pointed out the need to control such pressures by saying,"any truth to these stereotypes is less important than that we believe and act on them, (pg 130).
    As a society we should encourage people to look at beauty on the inside and not what they see on the outside.

    “Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it” (Confucius)

    ReplyDelete