Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chapter 2 concept

A concept which seems simple enough within the chapter I found interesting was perspective. This entire chapter has to do with multiple perspectives and how we or others decode or use their perspective. A perspective is a coherent set of assumptions about the way a process operates. This definition is honestly an issue for me. Coherent to me means something that makes sense, or easily understood. Webster dictionary defines coherent "as logically or aesthetically ordered or integrated." An assumption is the act of laying a claim according to Webster's Dictionary.
A perspective is a logically ordered act which one lays a claim about the way a process operates.

A perspective is ambiguous. I find it difficult that all of these researches actually decided on only 4 perspectives within Chapter 2 because they all had their own coherent set of assumptions for the way in which we communicate. I was wondering if a perspective could be a wrong perspective? Could we make a claim in which we come to wrong assumptions based on our own logically ordered claims? I imagine mistakes in communicating what we see and what we want to see happen often because interpreting many different signals can be difficult.

The concept of what a perspective is can be a tough one to fully understand, because I am having problems understanding the broad definition in the book. But looking up some of the words within the definition helped a lot by putting the parts together for me to reach my own claim.

1 comment:

  1. Perspective is such a hard thing to define because everyone has a different one. We all have such unique experiences and ways of decoding meaning that all of our perspectives are going to be different. Although perspectives can be similar, I don't think that two people's perspectives can be identical. When it comes to the perpectives in our book, there isn't a single one that I agree with individually. When I combine elements from each into my own model of communication in my head, that's when I come to understand more about communication. These perspectives are just models, and models can never be all encompassing. I don't think we are supposed to choose one and base all of our ideas from one perspective. Maybe we should make it a point to combine the elements of each one that makes the most sense and I think a greater understanding could come from that.

    ReplyDelete