Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pragmatic perspective

The pragmatic perspective focuses on the behaviors which all come into play over a period of time. On page 33 the text reveals "to understand communication pragmatists argue, you need to understand the moves people use as they work out their relationship with one another." To think of the pragmatic perspective as a game can be beneficial because during a game one tries to create their own moves according the way their opponent moves.

I remember during my debate class at San Jose State my professor always stated we needed that push and pull and the 'clash' of each teams arguments. For example all the evidence one gave during the debate for support of their issue we had to refute everything they said as well as use additional information for our side.

The pragmatic perspective can be considered a game because a game deals with an opponent and provides an image of how communication is used or even manipulated in some cases.

As I was reading on page 33 the last line mentions a person who cries, are they crying because they are sad, angry, or frustrated or are they trying to make someone else feel sorry for them. One has to acknowledge the information or the event which took place before the tears started to fall. I found that part of the pragmative perspective very interesting because I do that sometimes, otherwise its not as effective.

1 comment:

  1. Hey chubbyhub! Your post for this week was really interesting to read. You did a very good job explaining what the pragmatic perspective is.I agree that it can be beneficial to think of the pragmatic perspective like a game because people are always following the set rules of communication when speaking to people. There are occasions where people break out of the norm and respond to someone or speak the way they feel is correct.I can also relate to your experience you had in your debate class. I took a debate class when I was still attending De Anza College. The teacher that I had was also a professor at SJSU and the set up of our debates were very similar to the one that you described.

    ReplyDelete