Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My concept!

I really enjoyed Chapter 6 and within this chapter the concepts which caught my attention and focus were the expressive-protective dialectic and self-disclosure. I found the expressive protective dialect involves searching for that balance between the information that is shared and the information which is consciously left out of relationships. This concept truly helped me evaluate my friendships, and distinguish them from close friends to only acquaintances. It is gratifying as the book states to have such open relationships as well as be the one another friend comes to for a exclusive open conversation.
Disclosure is a risk. Being able to self-disclose with another person can either bring a relationship closer together or tear them apart. Self-disclosure is when an individual voluntarily reveals information that would normally be kept hidden in an interpersonal relationship.
Interpersonal relationships are determinate on how much self-disclosure is present in that relationship. By taking risks and opening up to others it can be that glue between two individuals. They are not longer just common folk they are now best friends because they have taken that risk of trust.

I found these two concepts intriguing because I can pin point them out in my relationships. What friends of mine know a lot about me, who know about my family or who do I talk to only about my family problems or who do I go to when I need to cry. Self –disclosure and the expressive-protective dialectic concept of interpersonal communication are present in my life and are relevant to my every day issues, emotions, and interactions.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I also really liked the concept about the expressive protective dialect that involves searching for that balance between the information that is shared and the information which we leave private. I think that finding that balance is important but is difficult. I wrote about this in my journal when I was discussing a argument i had with my boyfriend. Also the concept on self disclosure is interesting because you do not think about these concepts until you have to relate them back to things in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your post. These concepts are very interesting and a good determinant of friendships. The levels of a friendship or relationship with another person will change with the amount of self-disclosure. The expressive protective dialect can be identified in relationships. It allow for the participants to know what is appropriate to say or not say depending on your relationship to the other person. Certain things just aren't appropriate to discuss at work, however it can be perfect to talk about with a close friend after work, possibly with a glass of wine! I know that self-disclosure can be relieving, especially when you need to get something "off your chest", but it can be dangerous as well if you disclose to the wrong person. I've enjoyed your posts and wish you luck in your future endeavors!!!

    ReplyDelete